Folk music fan? We have a treat for you. Here are nine folk songs all about whiskey!
1. Whiskey in the Jar by The Dubliners
A classic Irish drinking song covered by no less than Metallica, Thin Lizzy, and the Grateful Dead, Whiskey in the Jar is the story of a highwayman who is betrayed by his lover.
2. Nancy Whiskey by The Dubliners
Another great track by the Dubliners, Nancy Whiskey is a humorous song from the perspective of a drunk who can’t stay away from his “lady”.
3. Cigarettes, Whiskey, and Wild Women by Jim Croce
What do cigarettes, whiskey, and women have in common? According to this song, it’s the fact that they’ll all drive you insane.
4. Rye Whiskey by Jesse Colin Young
This one’s for lovers of rye whiskey who will empathize with the line, “If I don’t get my rye whiskey, I surely will die.”
5. Streams of Whiskey by The Pogues
Next time you’re questioned on your views on the crux of life’s philosophies, you can sing the chorus of this song.
6. Whiskey, You’re the Devil by The Pogues
This rousing anthem to whiskey includes the line, “Oh whiskey, you’re my darlin’ drunk or sober.”
7. Token Whiskey Song by The Fenians
Perhaps in a direct rebuttal to the above, this song declares: “Whiskey, you’re no devil! To me you’re more a saint. You make me feel like Heaven and the angels that I ain’t.”
8. Whiskey Ballad by Seasick Steve
This bluesy track will get you to “lighten up and have a cup”.
9. The Parting Glass by the Dubliners
While technically the contents of the glass in this classic departure ballad are never specified, we like to think it’s full of whiskey.